Respect the techies
blog by Ben Tsujimoto • January 11, 2012 @ 10:17am
IT employees are like sous chefs, referees and custodians. They handle crucial—and often unenviable—tasks that make a difference but aren’t rewarded justly. Other tech types are charged with developing innovative solutions, and thinking creatively but realistically is a daunting challenge. How are these tech experts rewarded?
For the 12th consecutive year, InfoTech Niagara hosts the BETA Awards to recognize Western New York’s most prolific techies. We’ll raise our litany of stained coffee mugs to that!
Major executives, tech specialists, large businesses, small businesses, students, newcomers and the social media savvy will all be recognized on April 3 at the Buffalo Niagara Convention Center. Check out last year’s winners, who range from the hip collector’s site Collectors Proof to John Leonardi, the CEO of Buffalo Niagara Association of Realtors.
Anyone dealing with technology on a regular basis can be nominated—the criteria is pretty broad, as there are 10 different awards given out. If you want to nominate a fellow employee, an impressive local business or an under-appreciated innovator, go here to do so.
If you’d rather sit back and cheer for the leading names in the local tech scene, there’s an afternoon trade show before the dinner and awards presentation—which, last year at least, was entertaining because it featured intentionally bad acting and a “Late Night TV Show” theme. No one said that the tech crowd was immune to fun.
Individual tickets are $75 for InfoTech members and $85 for non-members. A slew of other packaging options are available at the link as well.
Here are the categories: (it’s awesome that InfoTech Niagara is rewarding the contributions of tech employees at small businesses as well as large businesses.)
• Best Online - For a company or individual who made the best use of web technology resulting in increased business or visibility.
• Exec of the Year (Lg Company) - Presented to the executive (CEO, CFO, CIO, CTO, etc.) who stands out as having achieved or innovated a significant advance or implementation in technology within his / her organization. Company size 100+.
• Exec of the Year (Sm/Med Company) - Presented to the executive (CEO, CFO, CIO, CTO, etc.) who stands out as having achieved or innovated a significant advance or implementation in technology within his / her organization. Company size 1 – 99.
• Health IT - Presented to the WNY firm that brings unique and innovative products or services to the medical/health market, showing promise of major economic growth.
• Rookie of the Year - presented to a new technology organization which has launched in WNY within the past year that shows both growth and the potential to become a leader in their industry.
• Social Media Award - Presented to the organization that has made the best use of social media within the past year.
• Student Award - This award recognizes a Western New York college or university student who distinguishes his or herself in technology studies, demonstrates solid academics, and possesses good character.
• Tech Culture - Recognizes the organization that fosters a positive, encouraging, and productive work environment through the use of technology.
• Techie Award (Lg Company) - This award is goes to the IT professional responsible for making the technology run smoothly at an organization, on a daily basis. Company size 100+.
• Techie Award (Sm/Med Company) - Presented to the IT professional responsible for making the technology run smoothly at an organization, on a daily basis. Company size 1 – 99.
Photo courtesy of Flickr / Matt Seppings