Being the city of good neighbors that we are, helping charities and organizations serve those in need, even during the holiday season, is characteristic of Buffalonians. Need some ideas on where to start? These will get you started.
1. Join Salvation Army Dec. 12 to 14, in helping parents pick out gifts for their kids from the toy drive. Sign up to help.
2. Host a themed food drive for the Food Bank. Fill your big red barrel with donations of your choice. How trendy.
3. Be a temporary foster home to a four-legged friend with the WNY SPCA’s “New Leash on Life” holiday campaign.
4. Host a “Write for Rights” party. You and your friends can write letters on behalf of Amnesty International to help put an end to infringements on human rights around the world.
5. Register to be a volunteer for Ten Thousand Villages, a not-for-profit fair trade boutique in Williamsville. Learn more.
6. No plans for New Years? First Night Buffalo needs help hosting the biggest family-friendly event at the Buffalo Niagara Convention Center to support drug and alcohol-free kids. Get involved.
7. Visit the UNYTS neighborhood donation center 10am-3pm to donate blood on Dec. 13.
8. Help the Buffalo City Mission deliver Christmas hams by creating a Hambone Express Team. Jerseys anyone?
9. Get some fresh air with Habitat for Humanity. Projects are ongoing, and you can sign up any time in December.
10. Help Compass House keep kids in crisis safe. Sign up for even one day, and see the good you can do.