Buffalo Navy Week 2012
blog by Kathryn Przybyla • September 06, 2012 @ 11:50am
One of 15 selected cities where America’s Navy will “come home” in 2012, Buffalo will play host to the sailors for Buffalo Navy Week.
Buffalonians will have the chance to welcome 600 visiting sailors from the USS DeWert, USS Hurricane, HMCS Ville de Quebec and USCGC Katmai Bay. The opening day ceremony will take place at 3 p.m. on Wednesday, September 12 and is free and open to the public. Official remarks will be made courtesy of US Navy Rear Admiral Gregory M. Nosal and Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown with the US and Canadian national anthems performed by Buffalo Sabres organist, Ken Kaufman.
The “Greet the Fleet” boat parade will kick-off at 3:15 p.m. and is open to 100 local boaters ($50 per vessel) with a canon fire to start the festivities. The parade will be led by the Edward M. Cotter Fireboat, Erie County Sheriff Marine Unit, US Navy Operational Support Center Maritime Pre-positioning Force Utility Boat, US Coast Guard Response Boat, the Spirit of Buffalo and the Miss Buffalo.
A welcome party will also be hosted for the visiting sailors at the Buffalo Naval & Military Park. Admission is $25 per person and is free for visiting sailors. Pizza, wings, beer and entertainment will be on hand for attendees.
As for the remainder of the week, here is a tentative schedule for other upcoming events.
• Niagara Frontier War of 1812 Exhibit
• U.S. Navy War of 1812 Exhibit
• U.S. Coast Guard Petri Gallery (40 models of USCG ships throughout history)
• American Society of Marine Artists Exhibit (new 1812-themed paintings)
• Saluting Our War Heroes Exhibit (Buffalo News veteran profiles)
Wednesday, September 12
• Opening ceremony (free and open to public)
• “Greet the Fleet” Boat Parade
• Welcome Party
• VIP Party onboard the USS Little Rock
Wednesday, September 12 to Sunday, September 16
• Tours of Fleet ships (free and open to public)
• Navy band performances on Central Wharf (free and open to public)
• Hospitality tent
• Daily community service projects by the sailors
Saturday, September 15
• Veteran Appreciation Awards Ceremony (free and open to public)
• VIP Reception onboard the USS Little Rock
Sunday, September 16
• 1812 Bicentennial Gala
• Navy Week closing Band concert
Monday, September 17
• Fleet departs
For more information on Buffalo Navy Week, head over to their website.
Photo courtesy of Facebook.